ResourcesFor burial, headstone, and biographical records for the “residents” of the Austin City Cemeteries and topics applying to only one cemetery, please visit Austin Memorial Park, Oakwood, Oakwood Annex, Evergreen/Highland Park or Plummers.
Research & Burial Records
- Austin History Center and Finding Aid, Cemetery Division Records
- Austin Genealogical Society (AGS)
- AGS Travis County Cemeteries – Headstone Records
- Find a Grave Search or browse cemeteries and millions of grave records worldwide.
- Comprehensive Texas Research Links Portal (Texas General Land Office)
Preservation & Laws
- Texas Historical Commission (THC): Cemetery Preservation & Laws
- Travis County Historic Commission
- Association for Gravestone Studies: Fosters the appreciation of the cultural significance of gravestones and burial grounds through their study and preservation.
- Cemetery Symbolism: Visit Waterhouse Symbolism or Gravestone Studies
- National Preservation Institute: Professional training for those involved in the management, preservation, and stewardship of cultural heritage.
Articles & Videos - City of Austin Cemeteries
- Cemeteries Division, Austin Parks & Recreation Department
- City of Austin Master Cemetery Plan
- “Spirits of Oakwood” Video, featuring Save Austin’s Cemeteries, April 2017, produced by the City Of Austin atxn.tv
- Cemetery Master Plan Gets Boost from Volunteers, Dec. 2015, TWC News
Other Cemeteries & Cemetery Groups
- Texas State Cemetery
- Historic Oakland Cemetery: Atlanta, GA
- Save Our Cemeteries, Inc.: New Orleans, LA
- Old City Cemetery Committee, Inc.: Sacramento, CA
- Old Cemeteries Society of Victoria: Victoria, B.C., Canada
- Nashville City Cemetery: Nashville, TN
Articles & Videos - Older
- Gravely Endangered Cemeteries: Educating the Living to Care for the Dead by Jennifer Farwell on the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Preservation Online on October 26, 2007
- Grave Dowsing Reconsidered by Dr. William E Whittaker, RPA, University of Iowa
- Locating Unmarked Cemetery Burials by Dr. William E Whittaker, RPA, University of Iowa